Translate

Friday, April 12, 2013

“…Have ya heard of that walking group in Fallcarragh?? '' Suzies Testimonial 2013


“…Have ya heard of that walking group in Fallcarragh??

…They do something with mental health…”

That was the first time I heard of Solas…a random comment from a friend … all very vague, but having tried and tested counselling, drugs, and various other ‘’cures’’ I was at the point where Id try anything.

Walking, talking and listening?? Is that it??? After speaking to Solas staff on the phone it sounded like a very chilled out, new age, one stop shop for depression. Part of me wondered how in the hell can something as simple as “walking, talking and listening” really be a solution?  But let’s look at the alternative.

I was in bed all the time sleeping but never was getting any rest! I was waking in the morning feeling like I had just put my head down to sleep. I was cranky with everyone. No interest in myself, my life or friends and family. Neglecting …reflecting…going around in circles…my daughter wondering why her mum is so tired and no way of communicating my feelings to anyone. Lonely.. ohh so so lonely all the time. Feeling alone even when surrounded by people. Angry with myself for letting myself down and letting others down. Constant criticism… having internal conversations with myself where I was the worlds biggest failure and I believed every word I said to myself.

So off I went to see what the story was with this Solace crowd. My first day was in November 2012, I walked up those stairs in the An tSheain Bhearic to the Solace office and must of thought about running away 50 times or more. But I'm so glad there was still a small spark inside me that kept pushing me to carry on in the door, even though it took all of the energy in the world I had to make myself go in.

On reflection I feel it was the best decision I have ever made.

(Suzie,04-03-2013)

No comments: