Translate

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Bernards 2013 testimonial



Solas
What stands out for me about the Solas experience?
Many things come to mind.  If I were to choose but one and there are many, I would pick my increasing proficiency at taking the minutes at our weekly Wednesday team meetings.

My knowledge of this hard skill was poor initially.  I selected to do the minutes very reluctantly and with trepidation.

Then I decided to volunteer to take the minutes ever more frequently.  I realised that increased practice honed my skill in writing them, entering them and printing them on my laptop.  My satisfaction grew and grew!!

By doing the weekly minutes I also improved my overall computer literacy, another hard skill.  Now I see doing the minutes as an ongoing challenge ever striving to say accurately and concisely what was discussed.

Now I can say I take some pride in carrying out the taking of the minutes.  I take personal pleasure in compiling them.  New skills!!  All of this does loads to improve one’s self esteem.

This I believe is the essence of what Solas is about.  By developing hard skills it gives one the ability to grow in self worth and self confidence.  It’s both practical and therapeutic.

This is a small but simple way in which the greater Solas moulds our lives for better.

(Bernard, 2013)

No comments: